• Downtown
  • Gold Mine
  • Corps
  • Gold Museum
  • Stamp Mill
logo
logo-m
  • "Great American Main Street Award® Winner"
    - National Main Street Center, Inc. 2016
  • "The South's Best Small Towns 2017"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2017
  • "4th Best Summer Weekend Escape"
    - USA Today Travel 2014

  • "4th Best Underground Attraction"
    - USA Today 2016 - Consolidated Gold Mine
  • "Best Wine Town Runner Up, Southern Dream Towns"
    - Garden & Gun Magazine 2012
  • "10th Best Historic Small Town"
    - USA Today 2016
  • "10th Best Course You Can Play in Georgia - Achasta"
    - Golfweek Magazine
  • "Dahlonega: Small-town Escape"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2012
  • "Wine Tasting Room Capital of Georgia"
    - Georgia's State Senate Resolution 2015

  • "National Main Street City"
    - National Trust for Historic Preservation
  • "Official Appalachian Trail Community"
    - Appalachian Trail Conservancy 2010
  • "Georgia's Premier Sports Cycling Community"
    - Georgia General Assembly Resolution 2005
  • "Site of First Major U.S. Gold Rush"
    - Thousands of Miners, 1829-1849
  • "Great American Main Street Award® Winner"
    - National Main Street Center, Inc. 2016
  • "The South's Best Small Towns 2017"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2017
  • "4th Best Summer Weekend Escape"
    - USA Today Travel 2014

  • "4th Best Underground Attraction"
    - USA Today 2016 - Consolidated Gold Mine
  • "Best Wine Town Runner Up, Southern Dream Towns"
    - Garden & Gun Magazine 2012
  • "10th Best Historic Small Town"
    - USA Today 2016
  • "10th Best Course You Can Play in Georgia - Achasta"
    - Golfweek Magazine
  • "Dahlonega: Small-town Escape"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2012
  • "Wine Tasting Room Capital of Georgia"
    - Georgia's State Senate Resolution 2015

  • "National Main Street City"
    - National Trust for Historic Preservation
  • "Official Appalachian Trail Community"
    - Appalachian Trail Conservancy 2010
  • "Georgia's Premier Sports Cycling Community"
    - Georgia General Assembly Resolution 2005
  • "Site of First Major U.S. Gold Rush"
    - Thousands of Miners, 1829-1849

Military Heritage

Memorial Wall

Corps of Cadets

The Memorial Wall is located in front of Memorial Hall and was built in 1983 to honor North Georgia Alumni who gave their lives in service to our nation. Also recognized are students who lost their lives while attending North Georgia. By tradition, do not enter the Memorial area unless they are stopping to show respect to those listed on the wall.

Retreat Triangle and Traditions

The triangle is located between the Drill Field and Memorial Hall. It holds the daily retreat cannon, a 75-mm pack howitzer, which has been fired daily for more than 50 years.  Retreat occurs daily at 5 pm.

Bugle Calls

Reveille – Each morning at 7:00 a.m. Reveille is played and the U.S. Flag is raised. By tradition, cadets stand at attention and salute the flag. Civilians are asked to stop and face the flag until the bugle call ends.

Retreat - Each afternoon at 5:00 p.m. the campus comes to a halt as the University pays respect to the American Flag and our country’s heritage. By tradition, cadets stand at attention and salute the flag. Civilians are asked to stop, remove their hats, face the flag, and place their right hand over their heart while retreat is played.

Taps - Taps are played each evening at Midnight (2:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays of open weekends) to indicate the end of the day. Cadets are required to be in their residence halls at this time.

William J Livsey Drill Field

The Drill Field is located in the heart of the campus. The field serves as the parade grounds for the Corps of the Cadets and is used for drill and ceremonies. Although the Drill Field is also used for recreational activities, the area remains hallowed ground for the Corps and for thousands of alumni. Activities held on the Drill Field must be scheduled through the Commandant’s Office. By tradition, students do not walk across the Drill Field or use it a shortcut.

Killed in the Line of Duty (KLD) Memorial

The memorial is located behind the Military Leadership Center (MLC) and lists the names of all North Georgia alumni who died on active duty as a result of non-combat related activities. The original retreat cannon, a 1902 three-inch gun is located at the center of the memorial.

Colonel Ben Purcell Formation Plaza

This plaza was constructed in the Spring of 2012. It was named after a distinguished alumnus from NGC Class of 1950, Colonel Ben W. Purcell. Colonel Purcell was a Prisoner of War in the Republic of Vietnam for more than five years. He was the highest ranking U.S. Army POW of the Vietnam War. Cadets are encouraged to conduct military formations on this plaza, but they are asked not stand on the brass plaque on which Colonel Purcell’s name is engraved. The Formation Plaza also is paved with bricks in memory or honor of military alumni and friends of the Corps.

Golden Eagle Marching Band

The Golden Eagle Band is the oldest organization on the University of North Georgia campus. Formed in 1873 as a part of the Corps of Cadets, the Golden Eagle Band has a long and rich heritage as the marching band here at the University of North Georgia. Unlike most high school marching bands who perform for football half-times and in adjudicated marching contests, the GEB's primary duty is to provide ceremonial music for the Corps of Cadets and to represent the University in parades around the region and the nation. Recently, the band has begun developing a performance program with design elements similar to those of Drum Corps International. The band performs this program during its annual spring tour.

Pine Valley Recreation Area

Pine Valley is the original Ranger Camp with historical markers (January-November 1952). It is now a University of North Georgia recreation area.

Military Leadership Brooks Pennington, Jr. Military Leadership Center (MLC)

The Brooks Pennington, Jr. Military Leadership Center was dedicated on November 11, 2004. The Center’s name honors the memory of the man who attended the University from 1943 to 1944 before entering the Army Air Corps during WWII. Mr. Pennington also served in the Korean War.  Mr. Pennington founded Pennington Enterprises, Inc., and he served in the Georgia House of Representatives and the State Senate.  The Military Leadership Center (MLC), houses four high-technology classrooms, a conference room, a video tech-conference center, and a Rifle Range, the Brigade Headquarters, and a glass encased atrium.  All cadets receive leadership instruction on a weekly basis, primarily in the classrooms of the Pennington Military Leadership Center.   In the atrium there is also encased memorabilia as displayed exhibits.

The North Georgia Arch

The brick UNG Arch is located at the campus entrance near Dahlonega's town square. It was built by the Class of 1951 to commemorate their classmates who died in the Korean War. Tradition holds that freshmen are not to walk through the larger archway. Instead they are supposed to walk through the smaller adjacent archway.

Corps of Cadets Boar’s Head Brigade

The University of North Georgia, designated by the Department of the Army as a Senior Military College, is one of six senior military colleges in the nation. The Corps of Cadets, also known as the Boar’s Head Brigade, is founded upon principles of integrity and honor; its Cadets live in an atmosphere highly conducive to the development of young men/women for leadership roles in their chosen professions.  There are annual Reviews, Graduations, and Commissioning Ceremonies.

The University’s Co-curricular military organizations include: Aggressor Platoon (Light Infantry Tactics), Scabbard and Blade Honor Society, Blue Ridge Rifles Drill Team, Mountain Order of Colombo, Color Guard,  Patriot Choir, Golden Eagle Band, Ranger Challenge, NCO Club, Combat Shooting Team (Rifle/Pistol)

Upcoming Events

 

VIEW ALL EVENTS | SUBMIT AN EVENT

Request Visitors Guide 2017 2

Discover Gold Button

Arts and Music Button

Wine Country Button

Adventure Button

Sign Up For Our Newsletter:

Dahlonega-Lumpkin County Chamber & Visitors Bureau  |  13 South Park Street  |  Dahlonega, GA 30533  |  (706) 864-3711 or (800) 231-5543