"The Station" Lumpkin County, Georgia Historical Marker signifies "the site of one of the forts or stations used by the United States Government in Cherokee country in 1838 to round up the Cherokee Indians for their removal to western reservations. General Winfield Scott, commander of the troops used to assemble and protect the Indians in that period, had his headquarters here at one time. It is believed that Federal troops also used this station as early as 1830 to guard the gold mines from intruders - Indians or Whites - until the question of owner ship of the territory was established. Placed by the Georgia Historical Commission on GA 9E near Auraria in 1954."
Download the Dahlonega Historical Markers Guide for directions to "The Station" Historical Marker and all other Dahlonega area Historical Markers.