Did you know Dahlonega was the site of the first gold rush in the U.S.? In 1828, people from all over the country flocked to the Georgia Mountains to search for gold. This was 20 years prior to the gold rush in California, giving Dahlonega its nickname as Georgia's "Golden City".
Today, there is a new way to strike gold and save some green at the same time in Dahlonega with the city's Gold Rush Package. This package offers discounted tickets to local gold attractions where you can learn about the city's golden history. Explore an underground mine, pan for gold or visit the historic Gold Museum located on Dahlonega's downtown square. The Gold Museum offers visitors a look at the mining history of Georgia, including mining techniques and lifestyles of miners nearly two centuries ago.
Gold Fever Package includes admission for one to:
- Consolidated Gold Mine - The Consolidated Gold Mines and gold processing mill, built in the early 1900's, was the largest gold mining operation east of the Mississippi River. Most of the mill buildings are gone but the tunnels deep below in gold bearing rock still remain. The package includes a tour of the mine.
- Crisson Gold Mine- The Crisson Gold Mine is the oldest gold mine in Northern Georgia. While visiting the Crisson Gold Mine you can see all of their antique gold mining machines along with an open pit mine.
- One pan of ore for gold panning
- One 2 gallon bucket of ore for gem stone grubbin'
- One glass vial to hold your gold
- One admission to a tour of Georgia's only working 126-year old stamp mill at Crisson Gold Mine
- Adults (Age 13 and Over) - $24.95 per person
- Children (Age 12 and Under) - $19.95 per person
For more information on how to purchase this package and find out about all things golden in Dahlonega, please visit www.Dahlonega.org or contact the Dahlonega Visitors Center at (706) 864-3513.