View “The Legend of the Smith House Mine!” In 1895 Captain Frank Hall, a Dahlonega businessman and entrepreneur began building a new home, storage area and office (for assaying gold, of course). According to legend, Hall struck gold - literally - as he was building the home.
Over 100 years later, Captain Hall's home is now The Smith House Historic Inn & Restaurant. On February 12, 2006, while preparing a concrete floor, a worker unexpectedly punched a hole into a mine shaft. The Smith House shaft had a vertical fall of twenty feet ending at a spot where two horizontal mine shafts came off - one in the direction of the Gold Museum. Local historian Anne Amerson called it a "truly remarkable find." Today the mine shaft opening is the centerpiece of an exciting exhibit that digs deep into the history of Dahlonega at the Smith House. The Smith House is also a world-famous, family-style dining establishment serving seven decades of tradition.