In 1838, the U.S. government opened one of the first Federal Branch Mints in Dahlonega, where more than $6 million in gold coins were minted. At the outbreak of the Civil War, the mint was closed and never reopened. In 1878, the building was destroyed by fire but the massive foundation remained intact. Today North Georgia College's Price Memorial Hall sits on the original foundation. The building's spire is covered with 23 ounces of Dahlonega gold, while the Georgia State Capitol has 60 ounces of Dahlonega gold on its dome.
The only known photograph of the U.S. Mint Building in Dahlonega circa 1878.