Listed here are all of the historic markers in Lumpkin County. The letter refers to the location on the map. The text following the map reference letter is the text found on the marker. Grammatical errors in the marker texts below reflect exact wording on the markers. Directions and distances are provided from the Dahlonega Visitors Center. A walking tour of the historic markers found in town can be accomplished by using locations D, E, F, G, and H. If followed in that order from the Visitors Center and back, the distance is a total of 1 mile.
Prefer a digital version of the Guide? Download the Historical Markers of Lumpkin County App from the Apple Store or Google Play.
A. Trahlyta’s Grave
This pile of stones marks the grave of a Cherokee princess, Trahlyta. According to legend her tribe, living on Cedar Mountain north of here, knew the secret of the magic springs of eternal youth from the Witch of Cedar Mountain.
Trahlyta, kidnapped by a rejected suitor, Wahsega, was taken far away and lost her beauty. As she was dying, Wahsega promised to bury her here near her home and the magic springs. Custom arose among the Indians and later the Whites to drop stones, one for each passerby, on her grave for good fortune. The magic springs, now known as Porter Springs, lie 3/4 miles northeast of here.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 7.9 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 to Stonepile Gap in 7.3 miles. The marker is located in the triangle at the stonepile. Park on the shoulder of Stonepile Gap Road on the left.
B. “Gold Digger’s Road”
This section of highway was once a part of the "Gold Diggers' Road," one of the earliest ways used in reaching this area during the Gold Rush days.
Beginning on the Chestatee River to the east, where it connected with a route coming from South Carolina via Toccoa, Clarkesville, and Cleveland, the Gold Diggers' Road led here; thence southward, along U. S. 19 to Dahlonega, and from there to Auraria.
Much of its original course is now abandoned.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 3.2 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 for 2.6 miles. At the intersection of Business Hwy 19, turn left and park at the Mystic Convenience Store. The marker is 100 feet north of the intersection on Hwy 19/60 on the right side.
C. Consolidated Gold Mines. 1 mile.
One mile southeast of here, from 1900 to 1906, the Dahlonega Consolidated Mining Company operated what is considered the largest gold plant ever constructed east of the Mississippi River. Capitalized at ,000,000, the plant included a 120-stamp mill, a large chlorinator, a 550 foot tunnel and numerous small buildings.
The Consolidated Mining Company furnished much of the setting for one of the earliest moving picture westerns, "The Plunderer", starring William Farnum. The film was made in Dahlonega and its environs before the first World War.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.6 mile. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Cross Morrison Moore Parkway onto Walmart Way. The marker is immediately on the left just after the traffic light. Park in the Walmart parking lot and walk back to the marker.
D. Dahlonega Mustering Grounds
During the War Between the States nine companies were organized on this site; five were mustered here in 1861, two in 1862 and two in 1864. Men from other north Georgia counties came to Dahlonega to be mustered here in the companies of Lumpkin County. Most of these were from White, Dawson and Floyd Counties.
The old mustering grounds were the rallying point for troops in other periods of national and state crises. Lumpkin County men met here to join Texans fighting for independence in 1836, to aid U. S. troops in removing the Cherokees in 1838, and to wage war against Mexico in 1846-1848.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.2 mile. Take Main Street east for two blocks. Turn left at the traffic light at N Grove Street. Go one block and park at the parking lot of the discount clothing store at the corner of Hawkins Street. The marker is 80 feet north of this intersection on the left.
E. Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace
Dr. Joseph J. Singleton, first superintendent of the Dahlonega mint, purchased this property in 1836 and built a home the following year. His wife, Mary Ann Singleton, joined the Dahlonega Baptist Church by letter on September 1, 1838, the day the church was constituted. Dr. Singleton was a member of the building committee of the first church structure. The handsome Colonial style home of the Singleton family burned c. 1855.
A. G. Wimpy, an early merchant in Dahlonega, purchased the property in 1856 and built an attractive home known as "Rose Hill". "Uncle Archie" and "Aunt Nancy" had no children of their own but raised 10 orphans.
In 1900, the Wimpy homeplace was purchased by Dr. B.P. Gaillard, who came to Dahlonega in 1873 as Professor of mathematics, latin and natural science of North Georgia Agricultural College. He remained on the faculty until 1922, a span of 49 years.
The fine Antebellum home stood empty for a number of years and burned in 1963. The lot was empty until purchased by the Dahlonega Baptist Church in 1991.
The bricks on the base of this marker are from the original entrance to the home.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.2 mile. From the Visitors Center, go two blocks north on N Park Street. Turn left onto Hawkins Street. Go one and a half blocks to the marker on the right side of the street. There is parking on both sides of the marker.
F. The Public Square
When surveyors laid out the original village, this space was designated The Public Square. The center of the Square was reserved for the construction of a courthouse, completed on 1836. The Public Square embodies the rights guaranteed to the people in the Constitution of the United States, including Freedom of Speech and Peaceable Assembly. Independence Day and the Fourth of July are celebrated here each year. Throughout the year, there are gala celebrations and more somber observances, including Memorial Day in May and Veterans Day in November. The Gold Rush Days Festival each October recalls the Georgia Gold Rush of 1829 with the bittersweet echo of the forced removal of the Cherokees in 1838 along the Trail of Tears.
By folk tradition, bridal couples circle the Square three times to guarantee good luck in the marriage. Some funeral processions circle the Square in final farewell to the community. The Public Square has continued to serve its original purpose as a place where the people assemble to exercise their Constitutional Rights. It is a legacy to the present generation from all of the people who have come before.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: ½ block. From the Visitors Center, cross Main Street to the north side of the square. Walk west in front of stores to the middle of the block. Marker is located in front of and between the Fred Jones Building and the Hall House.
G. Lumpkin Courthouse
This court house, built in 1836, replaced the small log structure used since the establishment of Lumpkin County in 1832. The town was named Dahlonega in October, 1833, for the Cherokee word "Tahlonega" meaning "golden".
From its steps in 1849, Dr. M. F. Stephenson, assayor at the Mint, attempted to dissuade Georgia miners from leaving to join the California gold rush. His oration gave rise to the sayings: "There's millions in it," and "Thar's gold in them thar hills."
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: ½ block. From the Visitors Center, go west on the south side of the square. The marker is located in front of the General Store.
H. Price Memorial Building
Erected here in 1837 was a U. S. Branch Mint which operated until seized by the Confederates in 1861. It produced gold coins estimated to exceed ,000,000.00 in value. In 1871 the mint building and ten acres of land were transferred to the state for use as an agricultural college, largely through the efforts in Congress of Representative William Pierce Price, founder of North Georgia College and President of its Board of Trustees until his death in 1908. The mint building was destroyed by fire in 1878 and in the following year a second building was constructed on the old foundation walls. The new structure came to serve as the college administration building and in 1934 by action of the state Board of Regents was named the Price Memorial Building to honor the founder.
Leafing of the steeple with gold from the surrounding hills was sponsored by the Dahlonega Club to commemorate in 1973 the 100th anniversary of the college.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.3 mile. Take Main Street west for 0.3 mile. The marker is located on the left at the intersection with College Circle. Parking is limited here, so either walk the 0.3 mile from the square or use the campus visitor parking by traveling past the marker for 0.1 mile to the traffic light. Turn right at the light, then take the first right and the next right into the visitor parking.
I. Findley Ridge
Many famous gold mines of the Dahlonega era were along this ridge on both sides of this highway. The saprolite and vein gold mining operations along here contributed much to the ,000,000 in gold taken from this district.
Surface and underground mining began here with the discovery of rich gold shoots. This occurred near the close of the placer mining period during which much gold was recovered by working rich gravels along the streams with so-called "Dahlonega method". Water was conducted by canals from the headwaters of Yahoola Creek. The many huge cuts observable along this ridge were made by this method of mining.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 1 mile. Take Main Street west around the square and exit the square to the south on South Chestatee Street. In 0.5 mile, go straight at the traffic light, remaining on Highway 19/60 for 0.4 mile. Turn left onto the street beside the Shell Station. Park on the side of this street that ends at a gate or in the Shell Station. The marker is located on the south side of this street and the east side of Hwy 60 in the grassy area.
J. Calhoun Gold Mine. 1 Mi.
Famous Calhoun gold mine where it is said vein gold was first discovered in Georgia by white men.
In 1828 while deer hunting Benjamin Parks, of Dahlonega, accidentally found quartz gold in pockets or lodes. His find was so rich in gold that it was yellow like yolk of eggs.
Shortly after discovery this mine was sold to U. S. Senator John C. Calhoun, of South Carolina. It was operated by Thomas G. Clemson, son-in-law of Calhoun, and some of the gold was used to found Clemson College, S. C. Specimens from this mine are exhibited at the State Capitol in Atlanta.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 3.8 miles. Take Main Street west around the square and exit the square to the south on South Chestatee Street. In 0.5 mile, go straight at the traffic light, remaining on Highway 19/60 for 3.2 miles. Turn right onto Calhoun Mine Road. Park on the side of this road just after turning. The marker is located at the intersection under some red shrubs, so may be a bit difficult to spot if the shrubs have not been trimmed.
K. The Station
This is the site of one of the forts or stations used by the United States Government in Cherokee country in 1838 to round up the Cherokee Indians for their removal to western reservations. General Winfield Scott, commander of the troops used to assemble and protect the Indians in that period, and his headquarters here at one time.
It is believed that Federal troops also used this station as early as 1830 to guard the gold mines from intruders - Indians or Whites - until the question of ownership of the territory was established.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 4.9 miles. Take Main Street west 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway (Hwy 52/9). Turn right on Hwy 52/9. In 1.1 miles, turn left on Auraria Road. Go 3.2 miles and park at the Citgo Station on the right at the intersection of Ben Higgins Road. The marker is 0.1 mile south on Auraria Road on the left side.
Auraria, (Gold), in 1832 the scene of Georgia's first gold rush, was named by John C. Calhoun, owner of a nearby mine worked by Calhoun slaves. Auraria and Dahlonega were the two real gold towns in the U.S. before 1849. Between 1829 and 1839 about ,000,000 in gold was mined in Georgia's Cherokee country.
From Auraria in 1858 the "Russell boys", led by Green Russell, went west and established another Auraria near the mouth of Cherry Creek that later became Denver, Colo. Green Russell uncovered a fabulous lode called Russell Gulch near which was built Central City, Colo., "richest square mile on earth".
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 6.1 miles. Take Main Street west 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway (Hwy 52/9). Turn right on Hwy 52/9. In 1.1 miles, turn left on Auraria Road. The marker is located at the intersection with Castleberry Bridge Road on the southwest corner in 4.4 miles. Parking is on the dirt parking area for the old store across Auraria Road from Castleberry Bridge Road.
M. Blood Mountain. Elevation 4458 ft. Chattahoochee National Forest.
In Cherokee mythology the mountain was one of the homes of the Nunnehi or Immortals, the “People Who Live Anywhere,“ a race of Spirit People who lived in great townhouses in the highlands of the old Cherokee Country. One of these mythical townhouses stood near Lake Trahlyta. As a friendly people they often brought lost hunters and wanderers to their townhouses for rest and care before guiding them back to their homes. Before the coming of white settlers, the Creeks and Cherokees fought a disastrous and bloody battle in Slaughter Gap between Slaughter and Blood Mountains.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 22 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 to Stonepile Gap in 7.3 miles. At the split in the road at the pile of stones, take Hwy 19 to the right for 5.3 miles. At the intersection at Turners Corner Restaurant, turn left, remaining on Hwy 19 for 7.7 miles. Park at the Moutain Crossings Store. The marker is located where the Appalachian Trail crosses the highway.