• Preaching-Rock
  • Curvy Road
  • Wysteria2
  • Bear
  • Windmill
  • Hawkins
logo
logo-m
  • "Great American Main Street Award® Winner"
    - National Main Street Center, Inc. 2016
  • "The South's Best Small Towns 2017"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2017
  • "4th Best Summer Weekend Escape"
    - USA Today Travel 2014

  • "4th Best Underground Attraction"
    - USA Today 2016 - Consolidated Gold Mine
  • "Best Wine Town Runner Up, Southern Dream Towns"
    - Garden & Gun Magazine 2012
  • "10th Best Historic Small Town"
    - USA Today 2016
  • "10th Best Course You Can Play in Georgia - Achasta"
    - Golfweek Magazine
  • "Dahlonega: Small-town Escape"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2012
  • "Wine Tasting Room Capital of Georgia"
    - Georgia's State Senate Resolution 2015

  • "National Main Street City"
    - National Trust for Historic Preservation
  • "Official Appalachian Trail Community"
    - Appalachian Trail Conservancy 2010
  • "Georgia's Premier Sports Cycling Community"
    - Georgia General Assembly Resolution 2005
  • "Site of First Major U.S. Gold Rush"
    - Thousands of Miners, 1829-1849
  • "Great American Main Street Award® Winner"
    - National Main Street Center, Inc. 2016
  • "The South's Best Small Towns 2017"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2017
  • "4th Best Summer Weekend Escape"
    - USA Today Travel 2014

  • "4th Best Underground Attraction"
    - USA Today 2016 - Consolidated Gold Mine
  • "Best Wine Town Runner Up, Southern Dream Towns"
    - Garden & Gun Magazine 2012
  • "10th Best Historic Small Town"
    - USA Today 2016
  • "10th Best Course You Can Play in Georgia - Achasta"
    - Golfweek Magazine
  • "Dahlonega: Small-town Escape"
    - Southern Living Magazine 2012
  • "Wine Tasting Room Capital of Georgia"
    - Georgia's State Senate Resolution 2015

  • "National Main Street City"
    - National Trust for Historic Preservation
  • "Official Appalachian Trail Community"
    - Appalachian Trail Conservancy 2010
  • "Georgia's Premier Sports Cycling Community"
    - Georgia General Assembly Resolution 2005
  • "Site of First Major U.S. Gold Rush"
    - Thousands of Miners, 1829-1849

Historic Hawkins Street

The Hawkins Street Neighborhood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Hawkins Street is located 2 blocks northwest of the Public Square of Dahlonega and is the northernmost cross street of the original village laid out in 1833 within the bounds of land lot 950-12-1. This web page provides a pictorial tour of the older buildings in this historic neighborhood. The buildings are shown in order of their age, the oldest being shown first.

Moore Place (c1846) - 315 N. Church St.

Moore Place (c1846) - 315 N. Church St.

Robert Hughes Moore served as a State Representative from his native Clarke County, 1840-43. About this time he acquired gold mining interests in Lumpkin County and came to Dahlonega with some thought to obtaining a position at the U. S. Branch Mint, which he did, being appointed Coiner, a position in which he served from 1849 into 1853. His house has been in continuous residential use and subject to constant alteration/remodeling over the years. Noted historically as the place where Anne Gartrell ( a Moore cousin) married William Sammons Grady in 1848. they became the parents of Atlanta Constitution Editor Henry W. Grady. In 1853 Moore sold the property to A. G. Wimpy and moved his family to Floyd County near Rome, Georgia, where he was a prosperous farmer and hotel owner. He retained gold-mining interests in Lumpkin County.

The Moore Cottage (c1876) - 122 W. Hawkins Street

The Moore Cottage (c1876) - 122 W. Hawkins Street

The Moore Cottage was built by Col. Robert Hughes Moore for his second wife, Lucindy Morrison Moore. At the conclusion of the Civil War Col. Moore's first wife, Mary Ann Kennon Moore, died in Rome, Georgia. The widowed Col. Moore returned to Dahlonega, accompanied by his youngest son, J. F. Moore, to resume placer mining. After he married in 1868, the new couple lived first in rented quarters on W. Main Street in the house currently know as Worley Homestead. In 1873 Mrs. Moore purchased the property on which the Moore Cottage was completed about 1876. By 1890 both parents had died leaving the minor children still at home under the care of their brother John H. Moore, then 19 years old. At 22 he was elected Clerk of Superior Court, later becoming a highly distinguished citizen of the community, serving in the State Legislature and as Chairman of the County Commission. In 1898, John H. Moore married Minnie McClure, starting their married life at the Moore Cottage. It is probable that the annex was built about this time to house the brothers still at home and provide room at the cottage for Moore's growing family. In 1904 John H. Moore moved his family down the street to the Corey Satterfield house, later selling the cottage to T. H. Wimpy in 1907.

The McGuire House, (c1882 ) -135 N. Chestatee Street

The McGuire House, (c1882 ) -135 N. Chestatee Street

Built by Goodman McGuire as his residence, he later sold it to buy another property. Mr. Sheldon L. Prater, a subsequent owner,added a small store building on the McGuire lot. In 1905 Mr. J. F. Moore purchased the property to provide a first home for his newly married son, Montie Moore. By 1914 the small Prater store had vanished from its original site. The McGuire House was the home of Mr. & Mrs. Dan Early from 1920 until their deaths in 1965.

The Strickland House, (c1882) - 201 N. Chestatee Street

The Strickland House, (c1882) - 201 N. Chestatee Street

Both the Strickland House and the McGuire house above were constructed on the former garden lots of Dr. Marius H. Van Dyke, whose homestead on Warwick Street has not survived. Mr. E. W. Strickland who built the Strickland House, made his home there until his death, after which the property was sold in 1911 to "Dennis M. Grizzle. This house has been the home of several prominent citizens over the years, including in more recent times, Jessie L. Garner, the first woman Mayor of Dahlonega. The house has been converted to office use and currently houses several businesses.

The Stanton Storehouse (1884) - 90 North Meaders Street

The Stanton Storehouse (1884) - 90 North Meaders Street

The Stanton Storehouse was built on a portion of the old muster grounds. It was completed in 1884 by M. H. Stanton, a son-in-law of Col. Weir Boyd, who was one among many subsequent owners of the property. In 1900 the store house was purchased by the Dahlonega Consolidated Gold Mines with the intention of using the building as the company commissary. However, the building was almost immediately resold to T. S. Littlefield when the Consolidated obtained use of Hall's Block on the Public Square. After Mr. Littlefield's death in 1912 the building passed through a succession of owners and business tenants, including among others the parents of the present owners, for whom the store is remembered as "Mason's Produce."

Little Shotgun (c1905) - 109 N. Chestatee Street

Little Shotgun (c1905) - 109 N. Chestatee Street

The origin of the Little Shotgun is not documented. It occupies a part of the Strickland House lot. Examination of the construction reveals that it is composed of two small buildings put together. It is believed that the front half is the c1905 Prater Store moved a short distance from its site on the McGuire House lot. In any event this building in its present configuration has existed on its present site sometime prior to 1930 as shown in photographs. It has served as a home, a store, and currently as a law office.

Littlefield Cottage (c1907) - 78 North Meaders Street

Littlefield Cottage (c1907) - 78 North Meaders Street

In about 1907 Mr. T. S. Littlefield located the Littlefield Cottage on what had been the grocery lot for the Stanton Storehouse described above and is also located on the former muster grounds. The origin of the cottage is not documented but appears to be an earlier housed moved from some other location to which Littlefield added substantially. After his death the cottage along with the storehouse passed through the hands of a number of owners. It is now occupied by Littlefield Cottage Healing Arts & Day Spa.

229 W. Hawkins St. (c1932)

229 W. Hawkins St. (c1932)

229 and 217 West Hawkins Street feature two houses were built by John H. Moore, a son of Robert Hughes Moore, to provide housing for faculty members of the college. They occupy the former garden lot of the adjacent Corey Satterfield house. While 229 house gives the appearance of a Sears Mail Order design, the source has been documented as "taken from a picture on a calendar."

217 W. Hawkins St. (c1932)

217 W. Hawkins St. (c1932)

229 and 217 West Hawkins Street feature two houses were built by John H. Moore, a son of Robert Hughes Moore, to provide housing for faculty members of the college. They occupy the former garden lot of the adjacent Corey Satterfield house. While 229 house gives the appearance of a Sears Mail Order design, the source has been documented as "taken from a picture on a calendar."

The Community House (1942) - 111 North Park Street

The Community House (1942) 111 North Park Street

This architect-designed building is a good example of a Great Depression era community project accomplished in cooperation with the National Youth Administration. Local in-kind contributions included materials and labor. For example, the stone exterior facing is local stone from the Moore Farm. the community project was inspired by the efforts and expressed concerns of Mrs. J. C. Rogers, wife of the then President of North Georgia College. Mr. John H. Moore and Mr. Ernest Jarrard are remembered for playing important roles in the successful completion of the building project. One stipulation was the requirement to maintain a community library in the building, which was continued until the construction of the Lumpkin County Library was completed in 1983. the Dahlonega Woman's Club, which meets at the Community House, has contributed to the furnishings and interior decor of the building. Overall administration is assigned to a Board of Control appointed by the Lumpkin County Commissioner.

Upcoming Events

 

VIEW ALL EVENTS | SUBMIT AN EVENT

Request Visitors Guide 2017 2

Discover Gold Button

Arts and Music Button

Wine Country Button

Adventure Button

Sign Up For Our Newsletter:

Dahlonega-Lumpkin County Chamber & Visitors Bureau  |  13 South Park Street  |  Dahlonega, GA 30533  |  (706) 864-3711 or (800) 231-5543