The Moore Cottage was built by Col. Robert Hughes Moore for his second wife, Lucindy Morrison Moore. At the conclusion of the Civil War Col. Moore's first wife, Mary Ann Kennon Moore, died in Rome, Georgia. The widowed Col. Moore returned to Dahlonega, accompanied by his youngest son, J. F. Moore, to resume placer mining. After he married in 1868, the new couple lived first in rented quarters on W. Main Street in the house currently know as Worley Homestead. In 1873 Mrs. Moore purchased the property on which the Moore Cottage was completed about 1876. By 1890 both parents had died leaving the minor children still at home under the care of their brother John H. Moore, then 19 years old. At 22 he was elected Clerk of Superior Court, later becoming a highly distinguished citizen of the community, serving in the State Legislature and as Chairman of the County Commission. In 1898, John H. Moore married Minnie McClure, starting their married life at the Moore Cottage. It is probable that the annex was built about this time to house the brothers still at home and provide room at the cottage for Moore's growing family. In 1904 John H. Moore moved his family down the street to the Corey Satterfield house, later selling the cottage to T. H. Wimpy in 1907.