The history of Dahlonega and Lumpkin County is extremely rich and now you can learn all about our deep historical roots at your leisure with the Historical Markers of Lumpkin County Guide and App! Historical Markers are erected in locations throughout Dahlonega and Lumpkin County and share details of monumental moments and locations in the city and county’s famous past.
Listed here are all of the historic markers in Lumpkin County. The letter refers to the location on the map. The text following the map reference letter is the text found on the marker. Grammatical errors in the marker texts below reflect exact wording on the markers. Directions and distances are provided from the Dahlonega Visitors Center. A walking tour of the historic markers found in town can be accomplished by using locations D, E, F, G, and H. If followed in that order from the Visitors Center and back, the distance is a total of 1 mile.
A. Trahlyta’s Grave
Trahlyta, kidnapped by a rejected suitor, Wahsega, was taken far away and lost her beauty. As she was dying, Wahsega promised to bury her here near her home and the magic springs. Custom arose among the Indians and later the Whites to drop stones, one for each passerby, on her grave for good fortune. The magic springs, now known as Porter Springs, lie 3/4 miles northeast of here.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 7.9 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 to Stonepile Gap in 7.3 miles. The marker is located in the triangle at the stonepile. Park on the shoulder of Stonepile Gap Road on the left.
B. “Gold Digger’s Road”
Beginning on the Chestatee River to the east, where it connected with a route coming from South Carolina via Toccoa, Clarkesville, and Cleveland, the Gold Diggers' Road led here; thence southward, along U. S. 19 to Dahlonega, and from there to Auraria.
Much of its original course is now abandoned.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 3.2 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 for 2.6 miles. At the intersection of Business Hwy 19, turn left and park at the Mystic Convenience Store. The marker is 100 feet north of the intersection on Hwy 19/60 on the right side.
C. Consolidated Gold Mines. 1 mile.
The Consolidated Mining Company furnished much of the setting for one of the earliest moving picture westerns, "The Plunderer", starring William Farnum. The film was made in Dahlonega and its environs before the first World War.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.6 mile. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Cross Morrison Moore Parkway onto Walmart Way. The marker is immediately on the left just after the traffic light. Park in the Walmart parking lot and walk back to the marker.
D. Dahlonega Mustering Grounds
The old mustering grounds were the rallying point for troops in other periods of national and state crises. Lumpkin County men met here to join Texans fighting for independence in 1836, to aid U. S. troops in removing the Cherokees in 1838, and to wage war against Mexico in 1846-1848.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.2 mile. Take Main Street east for two blocks. Turn left at the traffic light at N Grove Street. Go one block and park at the parking lot of the discount clothing store at the corner of Hawkins Street. The marker is 80 feet north of this intersection on the left.
E. Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace
A. G. Wimpy, an early merchant in Dahlonega, purchased the property in 1856 and built an attractive home known as "Rose Hill". "Uncle Archie" and "Aunt Nancy" had no children of their own but raised 10 orphans.
In 1900, the Wimpy homeplace was purchased by Dr. B.P. Gaillard, who came to Dahlonega in 1873 as Professor of mathematics, latin and natural science of North Georgia Agricultural College. He remained on the faculty until 1922, a span of 49 years.
The fine Antebellum home stood empty for a number of years and burned in 1963. The lot was empty until purchased by the Dahlonega Baptist Church in 1991.
The bricks on the base of this marker are from the original entrance to the home.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.2 mile. From the Visitors Center, go two blocks north on N Park Street. Turn left onto Hawkins Street. Go one and a half blocks to the marker on the right side of the street. There is parking on both sides of the marker.
F. The Public Square
By folk tradition, bridal couples circle the Square three times to guarantee good luck in the marriage. Some funeral processions circle the Square in final farewell to the community. The Public Square has continued to serve its original purpose as a place where the people assemble to exercise their Constitutional Rights. It is a legacy to the present generation from all of the people who have come before.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: ½ block. From the Visitors Center, cross Main Street to the north side of the square. Walk west in front of stores to the middle of the block. Marker is located in front of and between the Fred Jones Building and the Hall House.
G. Lumpkin Courthouse
From its steps in 1849, Dr. M. F. Stephenson, assayor at the Mint, attempted to dissuade Georgia miners from leaving to join the California gold rush. His oration gave rise to the sayings: "There's millions in it," and "Thar's gold in them thar hills."
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: ½ block. From the Visitors Center, go west on the south side of the square. The marker is located in front of the General Store.
H. Price Memorial Building
Leafing of the steeple with gold from the surrounding hills was sponsored by the Dahlonega Club to commemorate in 1973 the 100th anniversary of the college.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 0.3 mile. Take Main Street west for 0.3 mile. The marker is located on the left at the intersection with College Circle. Parking is limited here, so either walk the 0.3 mile from the square or use the campus visitor parking by traveling past the marker for 0.1 mile to the traffic light. Turn right at the light, then take the first right and the next right into the visitor parking.
I. Findley Ridge
Surface and underground mining began here with the discovery of rich gold shoots. This occurred near the close of the placer mining period during which much gold was recovered by working rich gravels along the streams with so-called "Dahlonega method". Water was conducted by canals from the headwaters of Yahoola Creek. The many huge cuts observable along this ridge were made by this method of mining.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 1 mile. Take Main Street west around the square and exit the square to the south on South Chestatee Street. In 0.5 mile, go straight at the traffic light, remaining on Highway 19/60 for 0.4 mile. Turn left onto the street beside the Shell Station. Park on the side of this street that ends at a gate or in the Shell Station. The marker is located on the south side of this street and the east side of Hwy 60 in the grassy area.
J. Calhoun Gold Mine. 1 Mi.
In 1828 while deer hunting Benjamin Parks, of Dahlonega, accidentally found quartz gold in pockets or lodes. His find was so rich in gold that it was yellow like yolk of eggs.
Shortly after discovery this mine was sold to U. S. Senator John C. Calhoun, of South Carolina. It was operated by Thomas G. Clemson, son-in-law of Calhoun, and some of the gold was used to found Clemson College, S. C. Specimens from this mine are exhibited at the State Capitol in Atlanta.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 3.8 miles. Take Main Street west around the square and exit the square to the south on South Chestatee Street. In 0.5 mile, go straight at the traffic light, remaining on Highway 19/60 for 3.2 miles. Turn right onto Calhoun Mine Road. Park on the side of this road just after turning. The marker is located at the intersection under some red shrubs, so may be a bit difficult to spot if the shrubs have not been trimmed.
K. The Station
It is believed that Federal troops also used this station as early as 1830 to guard the gold mines from intruders - Indians or Whites - until the question of ownership of the territory was established.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 4.9 miles. Take Main Street west 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway (Hwy 52/9). Turn right on Hwy 52/9. In 1.1 miles, turn left on Auraria Road. Go 3.2 miles and park at the Citgo Station on the right at the intersection of Ben Higgins Road. The marker is 0.1 mile south on Auraria Road on the left side.
From Auraria in 1858 the "Russell boys", led by Green Russell, went west and established another Auraria near the mouth of Cherry Creek that later became Denver, Colo. Green Russell uncovered a fabulous lode called Russell Gulch near which was built Central City, Colo., "richest square mile on earth".
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 6.1 miles. Take Main Street west 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway (Hwy 52/9). Turn right on Hwy 52/9. In 1.1 miles, turn left on Auraria Road. The marker is located at the intersection with Castleberry Bridge Road on the southwest corner in 4.4 miles. Parking is on the dirt parking area for the old store across Auraria Road from Castleberry Bridge Road.
M. Blood Mountain. Elevation 4458 ft. Chattahoochee National Forest.
Getting there from Dahlonega Square: 22 miles. Take Main Street east 0.6 mile to Morrison Moore Parkway. Turn left and remain on Morrison Moore/Hwy 19/60 to Stonepile Gap in 7.3 miles. At the split in the road at the pile of stones, take Hwy 19 to the right for 5.3 miles. At the intersection at Turners Corner Restaurant, turn left, remaining on Hwy 19 for 7.7 miles. Park at the Moutain Crossings Store. The marker is located where the Appalachian Trail crosses the highway.